British Locomotives for Gauge O

• Thanks again, Andrew.

The links are extremely essential for the success of this project and I have already ordered the book you mentioned.

Hopefully the Brexit doesn't cause extra customs trouble during delivery.

Regards,

Johannis

• Hello everyone,

Two abstract figures (sitting loco driver and standing engineer) have been inserted pairwise into both cabs to bring more life to the action. Alternatively upon request some of the figures can be removed from either of the cabs having totally 16 possible choices. The shape of the figures will be improved later.

Regards,

Johannis

• just wondering how your loco is coming along?

Thanks for asking.

Recently I purchased the book publication about this British locomotive type, which will help me improving some details in the CAD design.

The project schedule for the forthcoming weeks and months is as follows:

- Improve interior design around the cab driver area

- Add stairs to the bogie frames

- Further structural corrections

- Purchase functional parts (metal bumpers, couplings, bulbs, sound, smoke unit, etc.)

- 3D printing (body shell, frame, tanks, bogies, figures, etc.)

- painting & decal transfer

- final assembly

- public presentation of the dummy version at regional expositions

- working on motorization and transmission

- laser-cut packaging box to secure a safe transportation

- finalize project

It is still a long way until finalizing this project and I will report later about its progress.

Regards,

Johannis

• Hello everybody,

I hope the new year started well with fresh motivation to face any challenge ahead.

Some progress has been done in this particular project. Below to be seen few 3D-prints for the preliminary testing of the assembly concept.

The cabine interior on both sides has been populated with the maximum amount of human figures (two sitting drivers and two standing engineers) in order to simulate a test drive.

Alternatively the figures could be separated.

To the brackets with multiple mounting holes can be attached the DCC-circuit board, soundbox, smoke unit, etc.

The engine floor has been split into three parts.

On top of the engine floor are mounted the brackets, both cabine interiors and the five parts of the split bodyshell.

The frame has been split into two parts, which will be connected together with the engine floor.

Below the frame have to be mounted the set of tanks and the bogies as well.

The final version will stand on metal wheel sets, but the three-alxe-bogie may encounter some problems in narrow curves or on tight switches. I have to think of a working solution.

More project updates will be reported later...

Regards,

Johannis

• Hello everybody,

The cab noses are almost done except few minor corrections and adjustments. I hope the rivet counters have some mercy with me. This week I try to do some 3D-printing and next week initial dummy assembly to get a rough idea of the total external dimensions.

Additionally there have been designed the removable shields (CONDOR headboards) in front of the facial doors for those of you, who would like to operate more prototypically some special lines on your segmented layouts.

The draining channel guides the Seuthe liquid drops from the exhausts on the roof downwards to the smoke unit, which can be identified inside the empty and hollow bodyshell. The evaporating fluid goes upwards in reversed direction. The heat conductivity and the proper insulation materials must be tested in the laboratory in order to comply with all regulations.

Regards,

Johannis

• Hello again,

I was thinking of a fan section with removable parts in order to enable a rotating impeller driven by a separate tiny motor.

The initial fan section would consist of the integrated fan collar embedded inside the roof, of the eventually etched brass grid, of the spinning 6-blade impeller, which could be replaced by a 3-, 4- or 5-blade one, and of the replacabe fan base with the axle. At the bottom of the fan, instead of the base, a small motor with slow rotation speed could be mounted. Be aware of the axle diameter and its tolerances while replacing the blades.

The simplified result looks like this...

Regards,

Johannis

• Thank you, Andrew, for your motivating words, which encourage me to continue my effort.

Here are few images from the bottom side of this locomotive without any bogie just to see clearly how the frame fits under the body.

What is still missing are some additional holes in the frame to allow the noise of the soundbox/speaker to escape.

Then I have mounted both bogies to the frame to see the almost final result. The needed details will be attached later, such as pipes, hoses, coupling hooks, bumpers and windscreen whipers.

Regards,

Johannis

• Hi

The only other producer of anything similar in the UK is SBTDevelopments.

Which maybe worth a look at, again 3d printing.

Yes, Andrew, very interesting with etched brass parts and plenty of fine details. Probably the best choice for the expert rivet counters.

Regards,

Johannis

• Hello everybody,

The positions of the coupling hooks and of the bumpers have been checked in position and in distance by pulling the average fine scale BR rolling stock.

Alternatively on request there could be attached also coarse scale coupling hooks on one side or on both sides for those of you with tinplate collection.

Regards,

Johannis

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!